Women adore shoes and for some the higher the heels the better. Sometimes, however, there is a breakdown in loving the way a pretty new pair of high heels look in a department store window and actually making the transition to getting around town in them without looking like you’re a school age girl playing in Mommy’s closet. Here are 6 quick tips to remember when it comes toWalking in Heels:
- You’ll never be comfortable in heels that don’t fit. If they are too high for you, too big or too tight it can make your highheel wearing experience an excruciatingly and painful one. To determine if your heels are too high, put them on. If you can’t raise up on your toes in them–they’re too high–try lower heels. To get the perfect fit, have your feet measured, even if you think you know what size you already wear. That’s true shoe love!
- Practice walking in heels indoors before you go out on the town. Stand up straight. Heel down first and then the rest of the shoe in a fluid motion. Use your arms for balance. Walk on bare floors, carpeted floors, your graveled driveway. This will also scuff up the bottoms and prevent slippage too. Stride across the room, pivot, turn, look over your shoulder–get used to doing all the things you’ll actually be doing while wearing your heels outdoors until you feel absolutely comfortable to venture out and strut your stuff.
- When walking in heels remember to always keep your legs together and take moderate steps until you build your confidence in the heels and then you will automatically produce a more natural stride. The more comfortable you become in heels you’ll notice by the way that the rest of your body moves in tune with each step. You won’t look awkward or like you need someone to brace your fall–quick–you’ll be graceful and elegant.
- Many women report a more wobbly walk in thinner heels (stilettos). Platforms, however, give the ball of your feel a break from having to reach all the way to floor level and lurching forward from the height of the heel–while still giving you the heel height and elegance you crave. 1″ platforms are definitely a great way to cheat and work your way up tothat very high heel stiletto you’ve been after.
- Save your feet. Women who love shoes know they have to have a back up plan when it comes to wearing a new pair of shoes. What may look pretty in the window can be a disaster at an art opening, dinner or other event if you don’t have a fall back option. When it comes to heels, avoid standing too long and remember, in the evening our feet tend to swell; which can make the fit of the heels snugger. Carry along a fashionable pair of flats. When it comes to heels, don’t let one pair ruin you for the next pair.
Lastly, remember, avoid, slick, slippery or wet conditions indoors or outdoors. Gracefully step around the mishap and get your pretty heels to their destination safely.