5. Never Look Like You Are Going to the Beach. Always Look Like You Just Came From There! You should always have a summer sun-kissed glow about you. But leave the beachwear for the weekends. That means no floppy hats. No boy shorts or above-the-knee Capris. And definitely NO run-down flip flops! Stares and second glances from co-workers eyeing your wardrobe on your way to your workstation might not always be glares of envy but actually stares of disbelief. You don’t want to ruin your “hall way reputation” or your chance at a promotion over a poor choice in clothes. As a budding fashion diva and professional, ruining either is a risk not worth taking.
4. The ‘Cute but Cold’ Look is So Last Season. As NYC’ers who commute to the office, we have to accommodate for the drastic changes in climate. Above ground might be 85 degrees. Below ground, as you wait for your train, you might be exposed to temperatures close to the triple digit mark. IN the train is another story, as the AC might be on maximum. After experiencing such heat, your body will now have to adjust to 55 degree chills. For those of you who have been toning up their arms & biceps in the gym and now want to show them off in sleeveless blouses and suit dresses, keep these climate changes in mind.
3. If the Shoe Doesn’t Fit, You Must Acquit! Why bother wearing shoes that are uncomfortable? It will only hurt you in the long run – literally! Summer is all about wedges, peep toes, and 4.5 inch Jimmy Choo’s. But wearing these sometimes uncomfortable shoes, especially for long periods of time, can be grueling on the feet. As you strut down 5th ave. headed to a deal-closing with a client, the last thing you need to worry about is the feeling of your new shoes cutting into the arch in your feet. Always leave a pair of flip flops or cute flats at work or stowed in a shoe bag in your purse so that way you can easily switch them out if you frequently change handbags.
2. Leave the Stunner Shades at Home. During the work week simple plastic black shades are a must. Stay away from flashy shades with huge logos. Go with a friend or head to your trusted sunglass vendor to pick out the right frame to suit your face. Try to find a timeless piece that can be worn this season and next. Simple eyewear lets your co-workers know that you are professional and effortlessly chic.
1. Have Fun! The summer only comes around once a year. Enjoy it! Use your wardrobe to express your inner stylista but always be mindful that your ultimate destination is the office – despite how hot it is outside or what you have planned later that evening. Layer-up to cover up that deep V mini-dress. Or wear flats to take the attention away from your legs if you decide to wear a shorter than knee-length dress to the office. (You might also considering staying at your desk for the better part of the day in order to prevent an arched eyebrow from your boss.) If you want to play it super safe, bring your evening wear with you and change your clothes before you head out for drinks with friends. All-in-all, don’t let the idea of having to work on beautiful sunny days let you down this summer. Make a conscious effort to leave the work at 5pm, or close to it, so that you can enjoy the evening and what’s left of the sun.